A A A Change to contrast
Send to friend Print site
The most beautiful temples in Białystok
Created by:Dariusz Korolczuk 22.01.2010, 08:51

St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption

A cathedral complex comprising a neo-Gothic cathedral, an adjacent parish church built in late Renassaince (the oldest brick building in Białystok) with a baroque presbytery built in 1761 roku. The old parish church was built in 1617–1626 to replace previous wooden churches. In the church there are sarcophagi containing hearts of Stefan Mikołaj Branicki and his mother – Katarzyna Aleksandra Branicki nee Czarniecka, a headstone of Jan Klemens Branicki's heart (marble mausoleum) and an embroidered epitaph for J.K. Branicki's third wife – Izabela Branicka nee Poniatowska. The latter one was buried in a crypt – a stone vault beneath the floor of the church. When in the mid 19th century the church's capacity was not sufficient because of the increase in number of parishioners – the church officials applied officially to the Tsar's authorities for a permission for building a new church. After 40 years wait a permission was given but only for an “annexe” rather than a separate temple. The works commenced in 1900 and after six years the building was accomplished. The project was drawn by an architect Józef Pius Dziekoński. Today the “annexe” (few times bigger that the actual church) serves as the cathedral basilica for Białystok archbishop.


Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church

On the other side of Lipowa street there is St. Nocholas the Wonderworker's Orthodox Church. It was built in 1843 – 1846 and replaced the previous orthodox church. The building features classical architecture and was erected on a Greek Cross plan in Byzantine style with a centrally situated cupola. The church bears similarity to the Church of Saint Alexander Nevsky in St. Petersburg. It is crowned with a cupola surpassed only by a bell tower with seven bells, erected over the vestibule. The iconostasis dates back to 1844. The interior was decorated with polychromy inspired by the St. Volodymyr's Cathedral. Since 1959 the Białystok church has been serving as the Cathedral for the bishop of Gdańsk – Białystok diocese. From 1994 to 1998 it also served as Polish Armed Forces' orthodox church. The church prides itself on its reliquary with relics of saint martyr Gabriel Zabłudowski and the holy icon of St. Mary. Beneath the main church there is a “lower church” of St. Seraph of Sarow. The offices and administrative units of the diocese are located in the nearby buildings which also house the Orthodox Culture Centre and the Department of Orthodox Theology in Białystok.


St. Roch's Church in Bialystok

The street ends with Plac Niepodległości overlooked by the parish church of Christ the King and St. Roch erected on a hill between 1927 and 1946. It is one of the very first churches in the world built in a totally modern style. The building was designed by prof. Oskar Sosnowski and erected as a votive offering for restoring independence and freedom. The church replaced a chapel of St. Roch founded in 1748 by Jan Klemens Branicki. The church was built on an octagonal plan and features high, narrow windows and a slender, 83 metres high tower crowned by a statue of St. Mary. The interior is strikingly plainly and frugally designed. The church is surrounded by a high wall with four smaller towers. At the main entrance overlooking ul. Lipowa there is a statue of Christ the Good Shepherd accompanied by a flock of sheep created by S. Horno – Popławski. It is a good observation point offering a wide view on ul. Lipowa and large parts of central Białystok.

 


Church of the Holy Spirit

 

The largest Orthodox house of worship in Poland and one of the biggest in Europe (length: 55m, width: 38m, height: 50m it can accommodate 2500 prayers). Church of Holy Spirit is located in Białystok in ul. Antoniuk Fabryczny 13.


Church of Divine Mercy


Białystok is sometimes called the City of Mercy. In September 2008 at the Sanctuary of Divine Mercy there took place a beatification of a venerable servant of God – the Reverend Michał Sopoćko who served as a personal confessor of St. Faustina. The relics of both saints are also stored in the church.


Bialystok Hagia Sophia

 

Orthodox church Hagia Sophia is a sui generis version of the original (respectively scaled down - 1:3). In November 1987 the Ecumenical Patriarch Dimitros I sanctified the corner stone of the new church. Białystok Hagia Sophia was officially opened on 15th October 1998.

Orthodox Parish of St. Sophia – Hagia Sophia
address: ul. Trawiasta 5, 15-161 Bialystok tel. (085) 6762173.


Church of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ

Protestant Church of Baptists

 

Last Modification:Dariusz Korolczuk 13.08.2010, 10:01
If you have any suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact us
Select category
Description:
User email Confirmation link will be sent via this email More info
captcha
Wpisz kod z obrazka
Send mail