A A A Back to normal contrast
Send to friend Print site
History of the city

  • 1514 – first written record of Białystok;

  • 1547-1645Białystok belongs to Wiesiołowskis' family. Building of a gothic defensive castle. In 1617 Great Marshall Krzysztof Wiesiołowski decides to finance the building of the first brick catholic church in Białystok (currently known as the White Church);

  • 1645Białystok becomes a part of Tykocin Starostwo (administrative unit) and therefore property of Polish state.

  • 1659 – Hetman Stefan Czarniecki for his achievements in Swedish war receives property rights to Tykocin Starostwo with Białystok. His daughter – Aleksandra Katarzyna - brings Białystok as her dowry to the house of Jan Klemens Branicki. At the time Białystok is only a village of 40 houses built along three roads: to Choroszcz, Wasilków and Suraż.

  • the 90s of 17th century – Stefan Mikołaj Branicki (son of Jan Klemens) builds his new residence on the foundations of former defensive castle of Wiesiołowskis' family. The project's author is a prominent architect: Tylman of Gameren;

  • 1692Białystok gains town rights from King John III Sobieski;

  • 1726 – beginning of rebuilding the palace (architect: Jan Zygmunt Deybel);

  • February 1749Białystok receives its city charter from Augustus III of Poland

  • 18th century– further extending of the palace by Jan Klemens Branicki – Great Crown Hetman, first secular senator of Poland who ran in the election of the King of Poland, but was beaten by his brother-in-law Stanisław Poniatowski. Establishing/erection of a hospital, arsenal, town hall, post office, inn, guest palace, and monastery. The palace and its surroundings obtain the final shape, which results in coining a name of “Podlachia's Versailles” for Branicki Palace. The residence becomes an important cultural centre owing to the patronage of the hetman and his spouse Izabela. In 1750–1771 a theatre is being established and the most prominent opera singers of the time perform in Białystok;

  • 1862 – opening of WarsawPetersburg railway and consequent rapid development of the town and its textile factories;

  • turn of the 19th and 20th century – first telephones, water pipes and trams; 70 thousand people live in Białystok;

  • February 1919 – after regaining independence Białystok becomes the capital of the newly formed Białostockie Voivodeship;

  • 1939-1944 – Second World War –oppression of the citizens, 75 per cent of the buildings are eradicated;

  • 27th July 1944 – liberation of Białystok from German occupation;

  • 1992 - Białystok becomes a metropolitan capital of archdiocese;

  • 1 January 1999 – old town founded by Branickis' family becomes a capital of newly formed Podlaskie Voivodeship

If you have any suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact us
Select category
User email Confirmation link will be sent via this email More info
Wpisz kod z obrazka
Send mail
See also:
Go to gallery