A A A Change to contrast
Send to friend Print site
Branicki Park

 

Branicki Park

  

Owing to the lie of the land the park is positioned on an upper and a lower levels. The upper part of the garden is rectangularly shaped and adjoins the palace directly. Numerous fountains and flower beds contribute to the style of a jardin à la française (French garden). The lower part bears close similarity to an English park. It used to feature many rotundas, pavilions belvederes and boulevards. The latter ones still exist today and are known as Bulwar Kościałkowskiego and Bulwar T. Kielanowskiego. Apart from the gardens, Branicki Park comprised some smaller orchards and flower gardens. The park was decorated with statues, sculptures, waterfalls and even two orangeries where apart from oranges, pineapples, peaches, lemons, date palms, figs, ginger, apricots, laurus and similar plants were cultivated. Whole park and its discrete parts were designed by an army of engineers and gardeners including André Le Nôtre known for his planning of the Park of Versailles and the Gardener Ricauld de Tirregaille. The division of the park into two sections with their water systems and sculpture complexes has been preserved to date. The compositional axis is set by eight tightly clipped buxus parterres and red and white gravel paths. There are stone sculptures on pedestals along the main alleys: alternately figures (Diana I, Diana II, Venus, Flora, Actaeon, Adonis, Apollo, Bacchus) and vases. The main alley ends with a flanked bridge.

 

On the southern side of the parterre level there is an old bosquet with little alleys prolonging the viewing and compositional axes of the garden. At the end of the main transverse axis – by the very wall – there is an Italian pavilion with a back wall featuring three grilled openings which once enabled the guests to have a wide view on the animal garden with its famous fallow deer. The upper terrace is separated from the buxus parterres by a balustrade. It is reinforced by the wall erected along the L-shaped artificial channel.

  

Today we still may enjoy some remains of the original splendour of the park.

  • Out of the original garden (1200 trees) there remained only: 24 lindens, 26 elms and 5 ashes
  • 24 statutes
  • 4 fountains
  • a couple of sphinxes on pedestals

 

Today's appearance of the garden resulted from an architects' attempt at bringing it back to its previous splendour. The reconstruction took place in 1945 – 1962 and was implemented according to Gerard Ciołek's plans. Today the garden is only a faint echo of what it once used to be. In the original baroque intention the green was balancing the architecture of the palace. It was prolonging the complex of buildings and completing it. The garden might have seemed abundant in diverse forms: pavilions, sculptures, geometrically cut hedges enclosed in architectonical shapes, strict and rigourous space arrangements, nets of channels and ponds, and large animal gardens. But only the interweaving of all those forms constituted the complete picture of the Branicki garden – palace complex.

 

 

Last Modification:Kamil Waligóra 05.08.2010, 13:50
If you have any suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact us
Select category
Description:
User email Confirmation link will be sent via this email More info
captcha
Wpisz kod z obrazka
Send mail
See on the map

Service Touristic on Maps Portal Białystok